Many customers inquire about QGMA Machinery for the difference between shot blasting machine and sandblasting machine. Here, QGMA Machinery engineer will briefly explain the principle and difference between them. Hope to help all customers.
Principle of shot blasting machine and sand blasting machine
Shot blasting machine
Shot blasting machine is use the high-speed rotating impeller to throw the steel of iron shot to hit the workpiece surface with high-speed and remove the oxide scale on the surface of workpiece. The steel or iron shot hit on the surface at high-speed causing the lattice distortion and deformation of the surface of the workpiece, which increase the surface hardness. It is the method of cleaning the surface of the workpiece. Shot blasting machine is often used to clean the surface of casting or strengthen the surface of the workpiece.
Shot blasting machine is used for clean some regular shaped workpieces. Put several blast wheels around the workpieces. It not only with high efficiency but also with low pollution.
Sand blasting machine
Sandblasting machine adopt to compressed air as the power to form a high-speed injection beam to spray the workpiece surface, which need to clean. To make the mechanical properties of the outer surface of the workpiece surface are changed. Although there are many type of sandblasting machine, but the ultimate goal is to improve the fatigue resistance of the workpiece, increase the adhesion between it and the coating, prolong the durability of the coating film, and also benefit the leveling and decoration of the coating. To remove the impurities, variegated color and oxide layer on the surface, and also make the surface of the medium rough, eliminate the residual stress of the workpiece and improve the surface hardness of the substrate.
Process is different
Shot blasting and sand blasting can both clean and decontaminate the workpiece. The purpose is to prepare for the next process, that is to ensure the roughness requirements of the next process and some are to achieve surface consistency. The shot blasting have strengthening effect, sandblasting is not obvious. Generally, shot blasting use steel shot and sand blasting use quartz sand.
- Shot blasting and sand blasting are both surface treatments, but it does not mean that only castings can use the shot blasting process
- The main function of sandblasting is to remove rust and oxide scale on the surface, such as parts after heat treatment and shot blasting has more functions : not only removes rust and oxide scale, but also improves surface roughness and removes parts machining burrs to eliminate internal stress of parts, reduce deformation of parts after heat treatment and improve surface wear resistance and pressure capacity of parts
- There are many processes used for sand blasting, such as: castings, forgings, surface treatment of parts after machining, parts after heat treatment etc.
- Sand blasting is mainly manual operation, while shot blasting is mostly automated and semi-automated.
- The steel shots and iron shots used in shot blasting are not actually shots in the true sense. They are steel wires or steel rods. After use a period of time it will like the shots. The sandblasting sand it is just river sand, which is no different from that used for construction, except that the sand blasting is screened, contains less mud, and has a particle size specification. Of course, some industries are also different. For example, the shipbuilding industry uses real steel shots for shot blasting, while sandblasting uses metal ore (not river sand-quartz sand).
Shot blasting and sand blasting media
Shot blasting used the abrasive are generally spherical particles with no edges and corners. Such as steel shots, steel grits, steel wire cut, etc.
Sand refers to sand grains with edges and corners, such as brown corundum, white corundum, river sand, etc.
Shot blasting is a method of centrifugal force generated when the shot material is rotated at a high speed to impact the surface of the material to achieve removal and a certain roughness.
Sand blasting uses compressed air as the power to spray sand or steel shots onto the surface of the material to achieve removal and certain roughness.
The main application scope of shot blasting machine is: applicable product industry: automobile, aerospace, computer, communication, home appliances and other 3C industries.
The main scope of application of the sandblasting machine is: applicable product materials: all kinds of rubber (including silica gel), injection molded parts, magnesium alloy, aluminum alloy, zinc alloy and other materials.
Through the above comparison, you can know their differences, so you will have a choice when choosing, mainly based on your actual situation.